J. Mike Rollins (Sparky) [rollins@wfu.edu]
Hyperbola New
My Cats New
Kitty New
Mike is on
Green Cycle Design Group
  My Stuff  
  My Truck  
Photo Journal


I needed a bumper for the camo truck

November 25, 2004

I needed a bumper for the truck. The old bumper was a little twisted and would not fit since I had straightened out the fender.
November 25, 2004

I had a 10 foot, 4x6 cut at Home Depot. It was cut into 6 foot and 4 foot pieces. Here is the beginning of the bumper build.
Notice how clean the porch is at the beginning of the process.
November 25, 2004

I beveled the ends and used a belt sander to smooth the cuts.
The sides which meet up with the truck frame have also been routed out.
I used 1/2 inch carriage bolts and a washer.
November 25, 2004

I had the 4 foot piece left over. So, it was to become part of the bumper too.
Notice that the porch is becoming cluttered.
November 25, 2004

I beveled the ends of the 4 foot piece and drilled 5/8 inch holes through the pair.
Wood glue is also used to ensure the bottom part does not fall off.
In a couple of days, I will add a little thread-lock for more added assurance.
November 25, 2004

I let the glue set a while, then sanded the hole thing again.
Now, I am pondering whether to stain it, paint it or leave it natural.
I also plan to add some fog lights and a spot for my John Deere tag.
December 13, 2004

A week ago I put some lights on the bumper.
I have received even more ideas on what to do to the bumper.
I am going to let the wood dry for a while and work on it next spring. The more I see it, the more I kind of like it the way it is.